Monday, September 8, 2008

Vancouver Island Circumnavigation

I’m in the final stages of preparing for the grand expedition of my life. On Saturday, September 13, starting at the Cascade Canoe & Kayak shop in Renton, I’ll paddle north on Lake Washington, west through the Lake Washington ship canal, and northwest to the West Coast Sea Kayak Symposium in Port Townsend. We have a booth at the symposium, will assist Current Designs, Epic and Valley kayaks with on the water demos, and I’ll present on the kayak forward stroke. We’re also hosting a Saturday evening barbeque that’s open to all who wish to join us! It’s free.

From Port Townsend I’ll paddle east to Whidbey Island, then west through the San Juan Islands and on to Sydney on Vancouver Island. From Sydney I’ll paddle clockwise around Vancouver Island, exploring sounds and islands in a 1000 nautical mile, 60-day (plus bad weather days) tour. Returning through the Gulf Islands, back through the San Juans and finishing back at the Cascade boathouse in Renton. I expect to be back before Thanksgiving.

The entire trip will be filmed and I’ll update this blog with photos and text when I can connect to the Internet.

Great appreciation to my trip sponsors: Cascade Canoe & Kayak Centers, Inc., Current Designs Kayaks, Cascade Designs, Kokatat, and Epic Kayaks - you have made this trip possible!

No comments: