Saturday, September 27, 2008

09/26/08 Jones Island to Sidney

End of Day Location: Sidney BC

9:15 Launch Jones Island
9:45 Green Point, Speiden Island
10:30 west point Speiden Island
10:45 Stuart Island
11:00 Turn to cross Haro Strait
Victoria Traffic on Channel 11
11:30 Gooch Island
12:40 Land at north end of Sidney Spit
12:50 Launch
1:50 Land at Canoe Cove

A great day of paddling – the water was flat and I felt powerful and averaged over 4 nm/hr. Left many new friends at Jones Island – Chris and the young men he’s helping through their outdoor adventures, Elaine and Tom. All said farewell.

Took a more direct approach than originally planned due to calm seas. On the Jones to Speiden crossing saw many Dahl’s porpoises. On Speiden lots of deer and a ram – very impressive. Crossing Haro Strait saw Orca!

At Gooch Island, entered Canada. Lots of seals on Gooch and several swam out to have a closer look at me. I think they were as interested in me as I was in them. Paddled through really nice islands – rocky with trees and fancy houses on them. Checked in with Canadian Customs at C Dock in Canoe Cove. It was simply a phone call and they asked a few questions – pretty simple. Then called Gary and Glenis came to pick me up.

We loaded my boat and gear onto his truck and drove to their home. A great dinner of steak, salad, potato salad and cake. Great company and a wonderful meal. Also enjoyed Rosie, the sweet Rottweiler and the cats. Glenis is a veterinarian and both have come to several of my talks at the West Coast Sea Kayak Symposium. Glenis told me how she used some of the concepts I present to help her in her practice, particularly muscle activation and maintaining strength and power as we age. Thanks to Kathy who taught me -nice stuff.

No comments: