Tuesday, September 30, 2008

9-30-08 East Sombrio Beach to Port Renfrew

East Sombrio Beach to Port Renfrew

Day 16 nm Cum. 208

10:00 Launch at East Sombrio Beach
12:15 Port San Juan Bay
1:30 Turn Back
3:30 Port Renfew

Was making good progress heading for Carmanah Pont in spite of a moderate head wind. Then the fog rolled in ahead of me and I couldn’t see the shoreline ahead. This area has very steep shoreline with few beaches, as well as an off shore shelf that causes waves to form. These are no problem as long as I stand off shore a little way. I stay just far enough out to avoid the building waves. This usually winds up just offshore of the kelp beds. They know where to find the calm water.

But I was uncomfortable with not being able to see shore and find the beach. Also, the forecast on my radio called for gale force winds over the next few days and I prefer not to be stuck on an exposed beach.

So about 2 miles west of Port Renfrew I turned back, paddled to the port and found a motel. It looks like I may be on shore until at least Sunday. Having to turn back and sit on the beach for at least five days is very discouraging for me.

No comments: