Monday, September 29, 2008

09/28/08 Victoria to French Beach

Victoria to French Beach

Day 30 nm Cum. 175 nm

10:45 Launch at Ocean River Sports in Victoria
2:00 Race Rocks
7:15 French Beach

Had a late start from Victoria. Incredible weather all day with sun and no clouds. Flat conditions early so I took a more direct route to Albert, west of Victoria. Mixed currents all day but a consistent tail wind. Following wind waves built throughout the day to 3’ by day’s end. Fun through Race Rocks with an opposing current, so worked my way up through eddies. Very shallow between numerous islands. One in particular off (west) of Beechany Point had a nice shoot to run – fun.

Because of late start, plus French Beach was further than I thought, wound up paddling longer than I wanted and arrived with the setting sun. It was a real race to beat sunset and I really worked hard. The stars are incredible and I can see lights from the Olympic Peninsula across the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

No comments: