Tuesday, September 30, 2008

9-29-08 French Beach to East Sombrio Beach

French Beach to East Sombrio Beach

Day 17 nm Cum. 192 nm

10:30 Launch at French Beach
1:15 – 2:35 Lunch at Mystic Beach
5:15 Land at East Sombrio Beach

Scenery is incredible. Terrain changed from volcanic, to sandstone and aggregate, to sandstone. Lots of points jut out into the strait. Into the Pacific Rim Park so no more houses – just wonderful scenery.

Lots of seals and many pop up in front of me to see what I’m up to. A sea otter did as well.
At launch and lunch was able to talk with a few people about the trip and fundraising effort, most seemed interested. At lunch at Mystic Beach, Phil from Inverness, CA took my photo and said he would send it to the blog. Really nice guy on a day hike with his wife. Inverness, CA is a beautiful place on Tamales Bay, where Krin and I honeymooned almost 26 years ago.

Two ladies with local knowledge told me about Sombrio Beach and the camping there. They really like Sombrio. Since I paddled further yesterday, I decided to go on to there and shorten the next day. Thanks for the great tip ladies and the most beautiful camp site yet.

For the past 2 or 3 days I feel like my physical condition is deteriorating – I’m really worn down. Also my right hip is very painful and at times it’s tough to sit up. Also, somehow I took a chunk of skin off my right thumb – who knows. So far all is manageable, but am concerned about longer days.

Another great sunset that I videoed.

No comments: